Born: November 8, 1974
Birthplace: Okayama, Japan
Occupation: Manga artist
Residence: Okayama Prefecture
Height: 170 cm
Weight: 57 kg
Masashi Kishimoto is a Japanese manga artist, best known for creating the hugely popular manga series known as Naruto. Born in the Katsuta county of Okayama, Japan, Kishimoto has been drawing from a very early age. But it wasn't until he was older that he recognized his dream to become a Mangaka (Mangaka is the Japanese meaning for cartoonist).
While in art college Kishimoto created a manga called "Karakuri" which he then submitted to the Hop Step award (Monthly award given by Shonen Jump for amateur Mangaka). Karakuri wins the award and sets Kishimoto on the path to his dream of becoming a Mangaka.
Upon graduation of art college, Kishimoto works hard on his next manga "Naruto" which the pilot is then published in Akamaru Jump in 1997. Two years down the line and Naruto is serialized in Weekly Shonen Jump and becomes the Naruto you know and love today. Naruto is still an ongoing series and has sold over 100 million copies in Japan alone since first being published in 1999.
Manga created by Masashi Kishimoto
- Karakuri one-shot (1996, Hop Step Award winner)
- Naruto pilot (1997, published in Akamaru Jump)
- Karakuri (April 1998 – May 1998)
- Naruto & Naruto Shippuden (November 1999 – ongoing)
Books written by Masashi Kishimoto
- Naruto: First Official Data Book
- Naruto: The Official Fanbook
- The Art of Naruto: Uzumaki
- Naruto: Second Official Data Book
- Paint Jump: Art of Naruto
- Naruto: Third Official Data Book
- The Art of Naruto: Naruto
- Naruto: The Official Premium Fanbook